Friday, April 1, 2011

Muy Loca.

Since I've started working in fast-food, my mind has been thoroughly boggled at the number of Hispanics I've managed to come into contact with.

I suppose it doesn't help that I've never felt a significant fondness for the Spanish language, or anything related. I tend to think the only good thing to come out of the Spanish culture as a whole is Charo.

Anyway...

One of the most irksome things that always occurs when I come into contact with an Espangol, is their insistence upon being understood in a predominantly English-speaking country--regardless of if they have learned a word of English or not. And, when one fails to understand them clearly on first try, they tend to become extremely annoyed.

For instance...

"Can I take your order?"

"I...want...nooombur dos."

"Sir?"

"NOOOOOOMBUR DOS!"

Sigh.

I want to reply "Monsieur, vous ne valez pas mon temps."
But I digress.

However, out of all the seemingly crazy instances that have happened when I encounter one of these folks...today has to take the cake.

This Hispanic woman comes to the drive-thru. My friend Rae was taking her order, since I had been designated to collect money at the famed "first window". I had an earpiece, so I could hear everything that was going on.

Rae eagerly chirps "Can I take your order?"

In extremely broken English, the woman manages to mention something about "Cola...large" and "Chicken...20 pieces...".

Experienced Rae takes this for face value, and as she asks "Would you like anything else to go with that?" The woman nonchalantly drives around in her large obnoxious car--passing me at the "first window"--and meeting Rae at the second.

Rae, who hadn't put the order through to everyone else in the kitchen, is staring at her--without food and without a clue as to what to do with this situation.

Meanwhile, everyone in the kitchen is going absolutely nuts.

Little do people know, there is a time limit on how long it takes to make the food, to the instant the person at the window receives their order. This time is supposed to be under three minutes.

Rae hastily puts the order in, as the erratic Hispanic woman begins yelling at her.

We're constantly told that "the customer is always right", but in a situation like this, I would have to say something along the lines of "Fuck this stupid shit."

Between the craziness, the woman manages to hand over her $5.66 for the 20 piece chicken nugget and the large Coke.

"Usted no me puede entender?!?!" The woman cries in frustration.

"Ma'am, your food is coming right up." Rae soothes her. "Please drive into the parking lot, and we'll bring out your food."

All we hear is VVRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM and the seething Latina speeds out of the fast-food parking lot.

Everyone is absolutely livid.

Not only did this woman manage to fuck the line-up of everyone else's orders, but her 20 piece chicken nuggets and large Coke were chilling without a home on Rae's counter.

Rae almost went in the bathroom and cried from pure annoyance.

Everyone eventually calmed down, and things got straightened out. There was finally peace in the kitchen, and I settled back into my money-collecting routine.


Twenty minutes later, Loca showed up for her 20 piece and large Coke.
Seriously?

No comments:

Post a Comment